Friday, March 14, 2008

NEIL ARMSTRONG



Quick story. In 2002 or 3, my business partner Pete Small played a CD one night that struck a cord. It was a mix of classic hip hop with the original samples. Everything from Biggie to BBD, New Edition, Michael Jackson to the Spinners and Bill Withers. It was dead on my musical taste. I grew up on 60's and 70's soul (Motown mostly) and then on to MJ and on to biggie. That CD was Neil Armstrong's Original Series CD. Crazy! I know from that point on that this dude was making mixtapes for me. I wanted to do what I could to work with him. Now 6 years later I've been able to meet him, work with him and just chill out with him to see where it all comes from. A true friend and person that I am so happy to see succeed.
Look what happened to him.... and if you don't know... GO BUY HIS MIXTAPES! and shoes....


from an email from Neil himself...

I thought I'd make this entry interesting and tell you a story, and like every story worth telling, it starts with a girl…

You see, I used to date this girl. I adored her... She used to fall asleep next to me and would usually ended up drooling on my shoulder… and I really loved that about her, and it’s what I wanted for my life, and I believe that it is still something I truly want - something stable and sweet and just for me and one other person to share. Eventually for reasons out of my control she had to leave - to make her life better I guess, despite my hopes and wishes and best efforts for her to stay.

I figure many of y’all can pick up what I’m trying to put down. The unfortunate situation where no matter how hard you try you just can’t manage to get what you want.

Now my boy Vinroc, who I personally believe is borderline hippy from being in the bay for so long insists that in reality, I didn’t want that life, that I want something else – so that’s why things didn’t turn out the way I thought they would. He has been an observer of my ups and downs and he has this nice idea about believing and staying positive, and that universe will conspire in your favor. I love him for his brand of good vibes, but I think he should go buy a condo on lollipop lane and he might as well play hopscotch all day in candyland with that happy stuff.. He calls me negative – go figure.

I’ve learned through my own experience that a difference adage applies to my life, and maybe yours too.

You can’t always get what you want… But you’ll get what you need.

This past year has been a sprinkle of dizzying highs with a nice healthy serving of nauseating lows. The bittersweet symphony that is life.

Well I just added a nice heapful of the goodstuff to the formula.

Your boy Neil Armstrong of the Almighty 5th Platoon will be Jay-z ‘s DJ for the Heart of the City Tour. Yes, Jay-z, not J-Zone as Daddy Dog used to say to me. I’ll be rocking the stage along with Mr. Carter and Mary J across the U.S. and Canada, check out http://www.defjam.com for tour dates in a city near you.

The 5th Platoon, the Neil Armstrong brand - has been pushed to the next level.

This is a thank you for all y’all that picked up my mixtapes, pushed them into the right hands and ears. Even to the critics who keep me on my toes. You are the reason that this is happening for me.

Thanks to my manager Sky and to Vashtie in particular.

This is something that was beyond the scope of my dreams. It never even occurred to me to shoot for something of this level. So again… I didn’t get what I want… But I guess I got what I need..., and I’m sure one day those two things will cross and everything will be lovely…

Stay up true believers. Neil Armstrong is in the building.